Thursday, November 11, 2010

Look fab + be thrifty = feel amazing -- Home hair color is my new obsession!




Those of you who know me, know that I love an amazing bargain, and to make / do things myself whenever possible - however there is one MAJOR caveat; I refuse to compromise on quality.
Therefore I'm so excited that I discovered coloring my hair at home... I am seriously thrilled about saving the trip to the salon every 8 weeks (upwards of $100 for a single process -- that's over $600 a year!).

For those who color their hair primarily to cover grays, you understand it can get super expensive for just basic maintenance. Always on the look out for a new way to budget, without skimping on results -- I decided I'd attempt at home color. I admit I was totally hesitant, so I asked my long time pro hairstylist, Lori Johnson if it was too risky. She said no, not at all, IF you get a good quality dye (she likes Clairol Natural Instincts) & you simply want to maintain your natural color, not make a big change. (Big changes are best left to the experts).
She told me that a smart thing to do is ask the next time you see your stylist, just ask her to write down the details of the color used on you. Brilliant!
After my first time trying Clairol Natural Instincts, I loved the product and the way it made my hair super shiny / healthy, but I learned it's easy to go too dark for an ashy brunette like myself. Always start lighter if in doubt, to avoid unnatural or inky looking dark tones.
So the next time I went to purchase hair color, I found Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free Brunettes -- a new spinoff, and I am a total convert! I tried Medium Brown 5C, and it left my hair exactly the color of my natural hair! I love this one for the fact that it counteracts unwanted red/orange tones that can sometimes result, leaving my hair looking like it's gray free and never been colored!
Just when you didn't think it was possible, one more tip I love to make your money go even further:

When doing your color at home, try mixing the colorant and activating cream together in a separate bowl (one to one ratio, and be sure to screw the lids back on their bottles tightly to store).
Then just use 1/3 of the amount in each of the bottles, if you have a lot of fine hair like I do. (Use 1/2 the bottle amount if your hair is pretty coarse or thick).
This should be more than enough color to cover your hair, and score -- you get 2 more uses to touch up your roots, out of a single box purchased.
I prefer using the gloves provided to get small amounts of color and apply it close to the roots and down the hair shaft. I begin by combing my hair like a comb-over all to one side, then working the color through, as I comb over row by row, all the way to the other side. Then I leave the color on for about 10-15 mins and rinse thoroughly, until water runs clear. I do not shampoo right after color, but I do apply the color treat conditioner included. (It smells delicious and makes my hair really silky).

This color on Katie Holmes is a good reference of what mine looks like: Medium Brown 5C.
Now go forth and attempt your own color -- it's so worth it. Then drop me a line to let me know how much you love it and what you're going to do with the dough you saved. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment